Monday, September 15, 2008

Moments in the limelight

Last week the issue of Meanjin in which my article appears was released. The article turned out to be quite stressful to write and I'm pleased that it appears to make some sense. So when I got to the end and realised it still didn't have a title, I was somewhat dismayed to remember that, unlike journalism - in which you simply call it "Leather Jacket Story" and the subs will do the rest - journal articles require you to invent a title yourself. Usually my academic titles are horrible affairs strewn with colons and puns, but luckily I was defeated enough to call my Meanjin story simply: "My Failure As A Leather Jacket Person".

I was interviewed about the article by Elly Varrenti for Radio National's Life Matters program. I always tend to think of radio as a evanescent medium but of course that's not true in these days of podcasting and online streaming. In that spirit, you can listen to the interview. In it, too, I have inexplicably managed to make some sense.

The rest of the issue is very good, too, and it's a beautiful object to look at and hold. Sophie Cunningham should be congratulated on putting together a literary quarterly that's juicy and engaged with the wider world, rather than dry, insular and academic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mel, I loved your radio interview re the leather jacket; never before have I heard someone so candidly describe my plight. I thought I'd develop more ease the older I get; not so! A child of the sixties I still manage to get caught in the angst to the point that I've become phobic about clothes shopping. Rather pretending its not an issue!! Thank you for the way you captured this. It gives me hope. I'm in search of the Meanjin article now that I've finished the academic year.